Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lucas Arts Adventure Games

I am getting bored with games. First person shooters, rpg's, Guitar Hero ... I had to put them down for awhile. I tried an old Tony Hawk game, but even that didn't hold my interest for long.

I decided to go back to the genre I cut my teeth on: Adventure Games. I choose a new one to start off with. FBI Confidential : Art of Murder. It was fun enough. The puzzles were'nt too hard, so I completed it without needing a walkthough until the end. I used to be against using walkthroughs, but what is the point of doing the same thing over and over until you finally give up and quit playing? The only problem is that once I open that box I find myself resisting the urge to consult a walktrough everytime I get stuck.

Anyway, I finished the game. The ending was anticlimatic and overall the story was pretty cheesy, but it was worth playing. At any rate, it got my adventure games juices flowing and I found myself with an urge to go back to the classics. Lucas Arts!

So far, I've played Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, and Full Throttle. Currently, I am playing The Dig.


I was thrilled to learn of an emulator specifically for these games to allow play from Windows Vista. The games I mentioned above worked perfectly. Unfortunately, I ran into sound problems with Grim Fandango and the original Monkey Island. No biggie. I'm sure others have had the same problems and the solution is just a Google search away. I love the Internet.

In my opinion, these games have stood the test of time. Day of the Tentacle is my all time favorite. The writing and voice acting are top notch and has yet to be matched. It is so ... funny! It was like going back and watching an old '80's comedy. Sure, the graphics and technology references are somewhat dated ... but that didn't stop me going from giggling to straight up laughing out loud at times.

Whether you have ever played these games or not, do yourself a favor and give them a try. I'm sure I don't have to tell you to Google "lucas arts adventure mega pack". Plus, you probably already know that Virtual Clonedrive will let you mount the cd images. It would be downright insulting if I suggested you need WinRar to unpack the files. Of course you already know that stuff! That's why I'm not even going to mention any of it.

Template provided by Webtalks