Friday, September 19, 2008

The search for traffic continues - UPDATED!

mistakes were made

I decided to take the e-referral gadget off the site ... for now.

1. it took a second or two to load. That bugs me.
2. I tried to filter out my IP from registering on it to no avail.

Number 2 could have been resolved by adding a cookie to my computer, but I'm pretty lazy and since number 1 was nagging me I decided to scrap it. Besides, I can get by manually adding top referrers while this place is still in its infancy.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, don't bother registering a site for Googles index until you have plenty of prominent sites linking to it. It appears that the Google-bots will turn their noses up if you are unpopular. I bet they feed on arugula. Needless to say, my blog is not yet in the Google index. Not to worry though because ...

I started a link seeking campaign. Basically, I made a form letter begging other blogs to add me to their blogrolls. You can see the ones I've solicited in my blogroll on the left. So far only American Digest has added a link to this site. That brings the total number of sites linking this blog to a whopping 2. That is, when you count coolerthanyou. But that is my brothers site so I'm not sure if it counts. I wonder if my mom has a blog? Hmmm.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting everyone to read my email and add a link right out of the gate. It's late, and it's the weekend. I'll be patient. Plus I plan to send many, many more in the next couple of days.

Update: Make that three links to this blog. Thanks Basil! I'll take back some of the things I said about you.

Update 2: Rachel Lucas added me to her 'roll. Luckily I managed to get a giggle worthy post up before she had the chance to visit. Cha-ching! She liked the 'delicious bass' line from the post above. I should send her something nice. Delicious bass are hard to come by in Pittsburgh. A smelly river carp should do fine ...

Template provided by Webtalks